Welcome to the Year 6 page. Our class teachers are Mrs Kirk (6K) and Miss Deakins/Mrs Iveson (6DI). Mrs Parrinder, Mrs White, Mrs Bourne and Mrs Ireland are our teaching assistants. We are all very excited for this year and will be sharing our learning and key information about the Year group on this page.
- P.E: Our PE sessions are on Wednesday (outdoor) and Friday (indoor). On these days, children need to come to school in full PE kits for the whole day and will not be getting changed.
- Reading: this is at the heart of all of the learning in our classes. It would be beneficial for the children to read daily to strengthen their vocabulary as well as their understanding about different texts.
- Times Tables: Children need to know up to 12 x 12 in Year 6 and will be given personalised times tables to practise weekly.
- Spellings: These will be sent home weekly. These should be practiced 3 times a week, following the look, cover, write, check format. Learning the word class and definition of each word also adds to our widening vocabulary. Spelling sheets, will be sent home weekly for this practise to take place.
- Spellings and times tables will be tested on Wednesdays.
- Arithmetic and Project: As the year progresses, the children may also have a short arithmetic activity to do, along with homework based around other subjects.
If you have any queries, then please email us at:
Evolution: who decides?
Our Project for the Autumn term is all about the Earth and its evolution. Not only will we be discovering why Darwin's voyage to the Galapagos Islands was of vital importance, but we will also explore why animals have adapted to survive in their habitats over time.
Here are some of the strategies that we will be using in our maths lessons as the year progresses.